The idea of a capsule wardrobe is not new. What’s new, however, is the number of people who are jumping on board the trend! A quick Google search will show that there are now hundreds if not thousands of blogs and articles about how to create your own personalized capsule wardrobe.
Do you want to save time and money with a capsule wardrobe? Having a capsule wardrobe is a great way to save time and money while looking stylish!
There are many benefits to this type of style including time-saving (you’ll never have to think twice about what you’re going to wear), money-saving (you won’t be tempted by sales or feel like you need to buy something just because it’s on sale!), and environmental impact reduction (less waste). With these three big reasons in mind, we can see why a capsule wardrobe is a trend that’s here to stay.
So, what is a capsule wardrobe?
The “capsule” idea has been around for decades in clothing and fashion. Starting with the London Swinging 60s, fashion-forward women would select fewer but more versatile pieces of clothes from their closet to create a “style capsule” while at the same time freeing up closet space and saving money.
In recent years, capsule wardrobe has been catching on with more and more people, including celebrities. The first time I read about it, it really resonated with me. You see, I always had a problem coming up with outfit ideas when getting dressed in the morning because I had too many clothes and accessories to choose from so in turn, most days ended up being a “Wardrobe Revamp” day–choosing something from my closet that was either comfortable or would hide what I ate for breakfast.
I was inspired to start my own capsule wardrobe and I haven’t looked back! The best part is that by only having a specific number of items to choose from every morning, I save time, money, and have more room in my closet.
A capsule wardrobe is not just an arbitrary number of items! It is the careful selection of pieces that work well together and can be worn multiple times without looking repeated. Some people choose to select their favorite 22 items, while others might choose 23 or 26. In addition to this, there are some women who prefer a 50-item wardrobe or even only a 10-item wardrobe… the number is truly up to you!
What do I need in order to create a capsule wardrobe?
First, if you are part of the lucky group that has either closets or an enormous walk-in closet, make sure it’s cleared out and cleaned. Some people like to have everything on hangers so they can see how much they have, while others prefer to go through their things and get rid of anything they don’t wear (you can donate these clothes to charity).
Next, you’ll need to pick out the pieces that are going into your wardrobe. You can either do this yourself or with a friend for added support! Try everything on and remember: it’s not about size, it’s about what looks good on your body! Don’t include anything that doesn’t make you feel amazing.
It’s a good idea to start by picking out your favorite 30-45 pieces. You can always add more later if you want! Once you’ve chosen them, set aside the ones without tags or marks and try everything else on again. If you didn’t like anything before, there’s a good chance you probably won’t like it this time either! Get rid of these items and put the ones back on their hangers. You’re now left with your favorite pieces that look amazing on you!
Now it’s time to try everything on again… we all know how much fun that can be, right? Once you’re satisfied with your wardrobe and have tried everything on at least once, it’s time to put all the items back into their designated hanger. This way you’ll know that when you go for something in particular, it will most likely be hanging where it should be.
Now that you’ve gone through all this work, it’s time to take advantage of it. Here are a few tips on how to recreate your perfect capsule wardrobe:
- Take full advantage of your wardrobe! If you have more than one or two items that go well together, wear them together! I always start every day with the question “what should I wear today?”
- Wear your favorite pieces all the time! It might be tempting to save them for special occasions, but trust me: if you actually like wearing something, chances are it’s amazing. You only live once!
- If you have an event or a date coming up and you know in advance, plan your outfits ahead of time. It will save you a lot more time (and money) compared to getting dressed last minute and having to put together something that doesn’t really feel like “you”.
- Pick out simple, basic pieces that can be combined with almost every other piece in your wardrobe. This is what makes your wardrobe so versatile!
- Don’t go shopping unless it’s absolutely necessary. This keeps you from buying things you don’t need and helps you avoid succumbing to temptation.
- Don’t buy anything unless it goes with at least 3 to 4 other pieces in your wardrobe.
- Don’t bring extra things with you when you go out! Make sure the few pieces you’ve chosen for the day are good to go and will not let you down. You can always add a necklace or scarf if necessary, but don’t carry more than that.
- Take full advantage of accessories! They can make the simplest outfit look amazing, while a poorly chosen outfit can be completely demolished by the wrong accessory.
- Accessorize in new ways! Don’t let yourself fall into a rut and only wear scarves and necklaces one way. Try tying them around your waist, using them as belts, or even tying your favorite jacket around them.
- Find clothes that don’t require ironing or dry cleaning. You’ll save lots of time every week!
- Mix casual pieces with formal ones and vice versa! This will give you a lot more options when it comes to creating an outfit. It also helps you get rid of stuff you don’t really like and keep the things that bring out your best features.
- Every now and then, choose an item in your wardrobe randomly. I like to think of a color-based system when it comes to this: if all my pants are black or navy blue, for example, I’ll wear a red shirt just to mix things up.
- Let go of your biases! Sometimes we feel things are too “young” or “old” for us and that’s just the way they look in our heads. Your style is unique to you and it doesn’t necessarily have to match your age!
- Have fun with it. There’s no such thing as a perfect wardrobe, so learn to love the pieces you have. Eventually, everything starts to look better in your eyes and you’ll feel like a new person when you’re wearing them!
- Once in a while, try to remember what your capsule wardrobe is made up of so that the pieces are interchangeable. It might help to keep a picture or make notes on your phone: that way you can always go back and look at it if you’re ever stuck.
By following these few simple tips, I’m able to save a lot of time and money. My capsule wardrobe consists of different variations of jeans, sweaters, and dresses that can all be worn with each other. This way when I get dressed in the morning, I feel great knowing that everything works well together!
In the end, having a capsule wardrobe is a great way to save time and money while looking stylish! Experiment with your wardrobe and create new outfits with what’s already in there: it’ll be even more rewarding when they turn out perfect!
I hope this helps you to create a capsule wardrobe that will save you time and money!